purpose of this organization is to promote the implementation of
methods such as instant runoff voting and forms of proportional
We are a nonpartisan organization with members from across
We often work with FairVote
- the Center for Voting and Democracy, a national
organization with similar aims.
CfER was founded in May of 1993, with 23 people signing
up. We now have several hundred members and several local chapters.
- We have campaigned for bills that have passed the legislature
(none yet signed into law) to make it easier for cities to adopt
Instant Runoff Voting.
- We participated in successful campaigns in 2004 and 2006 to bring
Instant Runoff Voting to Berkeley and Oakland.
- We helped run a successful campaign in 2002 to bring
Voting to San Francisco.
- We ran a campaign in 1996 in SF to adopt PR there. We lost,
but we see
it as the opening salvo in the quest for PR.
- We assisted with a successful ballot measure campaign to
enable use of
Instant Runoff Voting in Santa Clara County in 1998.
- We helped develop and run the first elections of the Local
Board of KPFA, the nation's oldest community-sponsored radio station.
- We frequently send speakers to radio shows and other
to spread the word about PR. We have also sponsored workshops on
- CfER members who are college students have helped their
governments adopt IRV and Choice Voting.
Local chapters and contacts
Return to CfER home page
Page last revised January 2, 2011